On this tour we would like to introduce you to a completely different Zakopane that you may not have heard of. Not many people know that below the Tatras lived many Jewish families who worked here and had a big part in creating the town that we know today. There was a vibrant Jewish community with a synagogue, shops, workshops and even a cemetery here. Nowadays you can however barely find any signs of their past here but our guide will help you discover this lost world and rich cultural Jewish past.
Trip schedule (approx 4hrs):
- Start at BazaTatry Kościuszki 22 st.
- We will walk to Antałówka hill from where we have a birds eye view of Zakopane and also panorama view of the beautiful Tatra mountains
- Through wild paths we will walk to the next hill - Bachledzki Wierch where we will discover the hidden jewish cemetery. During the Second World War it was completely destroyed. Today we can see the remains with a few hidden graves.
- From here we will go to Pardałówka area where there was a Jewish getto and work camp. On the way we can have a look at famous Zakopane style architecture; buildings like Villa "pod Jedlami" or Villa "Witkiewiczówka".
- Next we get to Koziniec hill and down to town.
- We walk by Chałubiński's forest (now a natural monument) to the "Palace" museum. It use to be a Gestapo headquarters in Zakopane and prison during World War II. Currently the museum is renovated and we are unable to enter but we will stop by the information boards for some interesting facts.
- We continue to Krupówki st. where many buildings belonged to Jewish services, buisnessmen, dealers and families.
- Next steps we walk to the market. This area use to be the center of old Zakopane village. Before World War II a jewish synagogue was stadning there.
- At the end of our tour we will go to the oldest restaurant in Zakopane "U Wnuka". In 70 of XIX the building was run by jewish businessman who opend the very first shop in Zakopane. He also run a guest house with restaurant which is still running today. Here we will enjoy some local snacks.
Price per group: 230zl
Price per group: 290zl
Price per group: 350zl
The trip includes:
- Private guide
- Snacks in "U Wnuka" restaurant
We recommend to take with you:
- Extra clothes in case the weather change
- Rain coat
- Comfortable boots
- Snack and drink so we don't have to stop in shops on the way.
We had a fab time in Zakopane. BazaTatry really looked after us all week, giving us excellent ski lessons and taking us on half days out to the mountains and various ski resorts. We would highly recommend booking with them and look forward to returning soon!
The house is excellent! We really enjoyed our stay. We also enjoyed the rafting trip and it was nice to be picked up and pass the queues for the rafting. The guide spoke only Polish but made an effort to explain things to us. Happy to have booked with BazaTatry!
Hi Retha, Thank you very much for an excellent stay in Zakopane. We had the best stay and only wish we could have stayed longer. We had a fantastic time learning to Ski with Peter. He was very helpful getting us organised with ski gear and patient teaching us to ski.
The view is amazing and the facilities are great to unwind at the end of an action packed active day, which Retha is also happy to organise for us. We would recommend a hike in the area, fat biking and a snowboard lesson organised through Retha. Next time we are in Zakopane we would definitely stay here again!
Thanks a lot for your kindness. It was really a pleasure to stay with you that day. For sure Zacopane have more things to be discovered, in our next visit we will contact you again. See you... 👍😃